[Update Mar 15] The Memory Map Input/Output and Max Memory Usage Limit options were originally planned for release with the v.231 update, however they are still under development and their release has been delayed to a future update. We will update with additional information on when these options will be released as soon as the release schedule is determined.
Additionally, we highly recommend that you do a full re-install of the game to avoid any stability issues when upgrading to the 64-bit Client. Thank you!
With the v.231 update, currently scheduled for Wednesday, March 16, 2022, MapleStory's game client will be upgraded to 64-bit, enabling improved performance on modern systems and to help us support MapleStory long into the future. As part of this update, MapleStory will no longer be playable on 32-bit (x86) operating systems.
Why Upgrade to a 64-bit Game Client?
MapleStory on 32-bit was limited in its memory to ~2 GB in usage, depending on the needs of the operating system. With the change to 64-bit, it will allow the MapleStory client to use more memory and improve client performance in various memory-intensive situations. While the 64-bit client will improve some client performance issues, please keep in mind that it will not resolve every issue you may have encountered previously.
How Can I Learn What Operating System I Have?
If you are unsure of what sort of operating system you have running on your PC, you can find out in the "About Your PC" System Setting page:
- Use the Windows key to bring up the Start Menu, and click on the Gear icon to open up the settings.
- Under "System" menu, select "About" at the bottom of the sidebar.
- Look under "System type", which will tell you which type of operating system and processor you have.
It should show one of three possible options:
- 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor: No changes required, your computer is already set-up and good to go!
- 32-bit operating system, x64-based processor: Your computer's operating system is still 32-bit, however your system's processor is able to support a 64-bit operating system. In order to play MapleStory after the update, you will need to upgrade your operating system to a 64-bit version.
- 32-bit operating system, x86-based processor: Unfortunately, your computer is not able to support a 64-bit operating system, and will not be able to run MapleStory after this update.
Additionally, with this update to the MapleStory client, we will be increasing the Minimum and Recommended System Requirements for MapleStory to the below.
|Updated Windows 7 (64 bit) with Security Update KB3033929*
|Windows 10 (64 bit) and above
|Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 x2 3.0Ghz
|Intel Core i3 4.0 Ghz / AMD Ryzen 3 3.5 Ghz and above
|8 GB or more
|20 GB or more
|40 GB or more^
|GeForce 9600 GT / ATI Radeon HD 3870
|Nvidia GTX 1050 / AMD RX 570 and above
|9.0c or later
|Broadband Internet Connection
|Fibre Internet Connection
- * While these are the minimum requirements to run MapleStory, you may encounter unforseen scenarios and errors while running on Windows 7.
- ^ For a smooth installation, we recommend having at least 40 GB of hard drive space available.
[Update Mar 15] These options were originally planned for release with the v.231 update, however they are still under development and their release has been delayed to a future update. We will update with additional information on when these options will be released as soon as the release schedule is determined.
Finally, with the a future update, two additional options will be made available in-game in a new 64-bit option menu:
- Memory Map Input/Output (Default: Off): When enabled, this will allocate additional memory to MapleStory in order to improve data access speeds, improving overall performance.
- Max Memory Usage Limit (Default: 50% of system RAM): Restricts how much memory that MapleStory can use. A higher cap will improve performance and loading times. When the cap is reached, the system will attempt to release unused memory, which may cause performance issues.
- The MapleStory Team